Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Bear River

Well, my buddy Andy, his brother Ben, and myself decided to try some night fishing on the Bear River at the Bear River Bird Refuge last night. We have never fished out there, but there have been some huge cats pulled out of the river there. So we left around 8:30 last night and fished most of the night.

When we got there, the sun had just set, and the bugs were insane. I bet we used half a can of bug spray, and then we had to use even more later. But we picked a spot, set up everything, and stayed there to almost 3 am.

Here is a picture of Andy and Ben's poles. There wasn't enough glow sticks for me to attach any to my poles.



We didn't catch a ton of fish, but we did catch some. Here is a pic of me with the biggest catch of the night, a 22-inch channel cat that probably weighed in between 4-5 pounds.


Here is one more of the decent channels that I caught, and also a pic of Andy with a carp he stuck after we caught it.




After we got home at 3:30 am, we slept for a few hours and were back on the road at 6:50 to meet up with Derek and John on the Bear River just below Cutler Dam. Andy, Derek, and John fished there last week while I was still in Arkansas, so I was a little excited to fish a spot where I have not fished before. The river wasn't very wide or deep where we fished, so I knew there wouldn't be any monsters caught today. I managed to catch 5 smallmouth bass and about 12-15 channel cats. One channel went close to 20 inches. There were some others worthy of taking home, but I released them all. Here are some pics from this morning.








Needless to say, I came home and crashed on the couch for a few hours. It was a good morning out. Thanks to my wonderful wife Julia for letting me go fishing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment